May 26, 2004

Bruce Campbell Rocks, Man!

Right now, I'm in the midst of a lot of stuff at work - reviewing grant applications, training tobacco merchants on state law, yes, it sounds like an exciting, glamorous life. During times like these, I want my reading simple, to-the-point, and lacking pretension, which is why I pretty much devoured Bruce Campbell's autobiography, If Chins Could Kill, in one Sunday afternoon.

Have to admit, I enjoy the guy's work, but wouldn't consider myself a fan - really liked Brisco County, Jr., enjoyed Army of Darkness, wouldn't turn off Xena or Hercules when he was on it...but I'm not religious about the guy. However, after reading his book, I'm gonna be adding some movies to my Netflix list.

Unlike many celebrity biographies, this isn't your typical tell-all, bring-those-skeletons-outa-the-closet-and-make-'em-dance book. It's actually a simple story about a hard working guy who enjoys what he does, and who just seems...well, normal. He's the kind of guy you'd want to hang out with, and his book reflects that, and provides some interesting insight into the world of relatively lower budget filmmaking

If you haven't already, either check it out of your library and/or purchase a copy from your local indie bookstore. (Hey, the guy deserves his royalties). It's written in a deceptively pretension-lacking style, and won't make your head hurt. Trust me - my brain, right now, feels like I've watched about 48 hours of Charles in Charge non-stop, and Mr. Campbell's book helped clear it up, if only for a little while.

And no, I don't get any royalties, so you have no excuse. Buy it. Read it. Believe it.

No comments: