June 8, 2004

Nutted By Reality...

You know, maybe I'm becoming cynical (or a bad stand-up comic), but I am just a wee bit tired of reality shows...

Ok, I admit, I got a little hooked on The Apprentice (OK, the season finale), but it just seems a little...well, futile. Recently, here in St. Louis, we had a call for Average Jane - that's right, Average Joe with a woman as the "central interest." Between that and the improbably titled Who Will Marry My Dad?

Personally, if you are going to do reality, do it right - do a day in the life of the President of the United States. Do the training room at my office at lunch time (trust me, it is laugh-out-loud funny). Do something educational, or uplifting.

Unfortunately, most "reality" shows are just as contrived as their fictional cousins. Let's face it - in real life, do you think Donald Trump would just call someone into his office and say, "You're fired"? Or, if set out in the wild, be able to bring one "special" object?

It's times like this that make me glad I have a library card...and that I'm too cheap to get cable, but can easily afford Netflix

No comments: