June 16, 2004

Passion Is No Ordinary Word

A change of pace - a note that's more personal than critical or looking at the outside world.

The above is the title of one of my favorite songs by Graham Parker. In recent times, I've been wondering "why am I doing what I am doing? Am I just engaging in insane behavior - doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result"

In the past few days, the answer has hit me - from other people - and it's passion.

Passion is something lacking in our culture - irony, cynicism, distance, detachment, postmodernism are all prevalent. Our culture reinforces the idea that if we believe in something strongly, we have somehow "sold out to the Man".

Well, there is no "Man". Or "Woman". Things just are the way they are - it is tough to be passionate about something that may not pay well, or where great sacrifice is necessary. But somehow, it all seems worth it - it is as if passion can provide the motivation to move forward. It makes every fight, every argument, every dealing with a difficult person meaningful, and helps build towards a greater good.

Thanks for letting me share.

No comments: