September 11, 2005

Moleskine Experiment Part Deux

As you may have read previously, I have entered the world of the Moleskine notebook - using the increasingly-hip tool for jotting thoughts, feelings, and just plain getting things out of my head. However, I'm finding it increasingly useful - in fact, I can't imagine ever living without it.

One new thing that I've found - when I don't want to carry around my bulky Day-Timer planner, I take the Moleskine with a fresh printout from PocketMod. After doing some tricky folding, I have a small, miniature planner that fits well in the rear Moleskine pocket (along with business cards). It looks impressive enough to pass, and the only tool I need is a pen or pencil.

In fact, there seems to be a movement back towards the simplicy of paper and pencil - between the Moleskine, the PocketMod, and DIYPlanner, it's refreshing to have a back-to-basics approach to personal organizing. My Moleskine has the advantage of never needing batteries, or crashing, and although I was tempted to get the Moleskine weekly planner, I chose not to - it just seemed like overkill. (Maybe 2007, but for right now, one Moleskine at a time).

In the past two months, I've found myself using the Moleskine to jot down a huge variety of things, including
  • Writing notes for a presentation
  • Substitute for my regular bound journal
  • Drafting a response letter for correspondence I received as a board member
  • Scribbling contact information for later input (names, phone numbers, etc)
  • Blogging ideas, and
  • Notes and outline for a story idea for the Strange New Worlds contest.
(Maybe that last statement was sharing a little too much information - my apologies).

Anyway, I think it's safe to say - I'm convinced. And if Moleskine wants to hire me as a spokesperson, well, you know where to find me.

No comments: