February 13, 2007

Reflections on a Snowy Day

Today is one of those days that I am so grateful to be able to stay home - the weather outside is snowy. Chicago-style snowy, the sky blanketed in white, with a swarm of flakes falling furiously towards the ground.

As many of you know, I'm getting ready to move back to Chicago in late March, and quite frankly, I'm shocked at how rapidly things are moving. I have been able to get a lot of packing done (but that, and a clean-up of my basement storage unit, are still on the books), and networking for a job has...well, exploded.

My last attempts at networking were intensive, but fortunately, I was able to establish some contacts. However, I find many of my colleagues here in town don't "get" networking, or worse, think of a job search as relatively simple. Case in point - on a trip to Columbia MO for a meeting, a position about 30 miles away was going to be opening up in mid-March. Of course, without a beat, one of my colleagues said, "Hey, Gordon, there's your job."

However, for every person here who tells me, "I'll let you know when something's opening up," I've had complete strangers in Chicago offer feedback, insight, and contacts. You would almost think that there was this grand conspiracy to get me out of here....but that would be telling. In many ways, St. Louis is like the person in high school who always complains that they never get dates/get invited to social gatherings/do social stuff, but lack the self-esteem to shake it off.

But enough of my whining - it's exhilarating and scary at the same time. Having people who will miss me when I go. Moving back to reconnect with family.

Almost like walking in a snowstorm.

No comments: