November 6, 2009

Their Further Greatest Adventures

For me, at least, Giffen can often try way too hard to convince the reader he's being funny...and compared to the tone of Drake's work (which Giffen is wanting to emulate), it might be a bit overwhelming.

But I'll keep an open mind, and at least read the first three issues....just don't be surprised if I stick around for any longer. After all, Giffen's no Grant Morrison...or Arnold Drake.
Four issues in, I have to say...I'm really liking Giffen's Doom Patrol.

I'm not as head over heels about it as I have been other iterations (mostly the classic run, although I love Morrison's & Rachel Pollack's run via Vertigo). Granted, I've blogged enough about the series (although I'm probably not as dedicated as these DP-focused blogs) to admit my appreciation, but I have to say that Giffen's writing (and Matt Clark's art) have helped me like the latest Doom Patrol a lot more than I probably would.

As a very wise man once pointed out, Giffen's tendency towards humor usually is encouraged by J.M. Dematteis (if you're crazy about the bwah-ha-ha, the Metal Men second feature in the book won't disappoint), but the first three issue arc - about our intrepid band of misfits facing a sentient black hole - seemed to effortlessly mix Drake's offbeat humor with Morrison's flat-out surrealism. (Matt Clark's art helped matters)

But it was issue # 4 - the obligatory Blackest Night crossover - that won me over.

Much of it was the way it began mixing in other aspects of DP history - from Kupperberg's "new" Doom Patrol to an integration of Rachel Pollack's more identity-bending work (trust me, it's slightly obvious, but it's there) into a rather consistent brew of super-heroics. Even the last page cliffhanger, without spoiling it, is one of the most obvious - yet clever - twists that I have experienced in comics.

No, Doom Patrol is not the second coming of Watchmen...but it is a pretty solid, decent book that's worth reading.

And I'm loving every minute of it.

No comments: