November 25, 2010

Reasons To Be Grateful on Thanksgiving


Red Velvet Cake!
Originally uploaded by Gordon D
You've probably been wondering where the heck I've been - especially if you're Roger. (And that's not a bad thing - Roger's a pretty compassionate guy. As well as several of my other online and offline pals). But here's another one of those glimpses into my private life which I rarely blog about.

First, without going into too many details, I am now "back in the job market". Won't go into details publicly, but found that it was time for me to get back into the field that I love, which is non-profits and social good. In short - moving forward in confidence.

In early November, I was struck down by a nasty upper respiratory infection which mean that my free time was spent in bed, and not in a good way. However, I'm grateful that I had the time to focus on taking care of myself. Especially with Mom being in and out of the hospital almost every other week since September (complications from her transplant - she's fine; just don't expect her to be running any marathons in the near future)

Finally, last weekend was spent reconnecting with friends in St. Louis - what would have been a well-needed break from my job ended up turning into a reaffirmation of the good things in my life. (Plus, I had a blast at Great Circle's Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader Trivia Night) This Thanksgiving, I'm grateful for several things.

I'm grateful that I have friends and family in several communities (online and offline) that remind me that I have value, and that I have value simply by living. I tend to forget that.

I'm grateful that I now better understand that Biblical quote about gaining the world but losing your soul. I like my soul. It's rather neat.

I'm grateful that I have plenty of experience and enough connections in both Chicago and St. Louis to feel confident that my job search...won't last too long.

But quite frankly, I'm grateful that, after forty-some years of life...I still feel young.

Hopefully, while I'm at Chicago TARDIS, I won't be boyishly geeky and reveal to one of the attendees that I had her picture in my locker in high school.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

No comments: