May 27, 2011

Public Domain Drive-In: Post # 1550



Today marks the 100th birthday of actor/St. Louis resident/art collector Vincent Price, who was best known for doing a lot of horror films. So many that as a guy who grew up watching most of his stuff - his work with Roger Corman on adapting the works of Edgar Allen Poe; The Tingler with William Castle, or even (personal favorite) The Abominable Dr. Phibes/Dr Phibes Rises Again - I'm at a loss to choose one to highlight.

However, since I write about public domain films on occasion, I'm going to feature the Italian-made The Last Man on Earth, the earliest adaptation of Richard Matheson's I Am Legend. I can't say it's one of my favorite Vincent Price movies, but there is a kind of eerie creepiness about it that still tends to get under my skin.

And now, for your enjoyment, please watch - and distribute to your friends on the Interwebs. Because we're all trying to stretch our entertainment dollars, and this is one of those movies that's worth staying in to see.

No comments: