November 24, 2013

Five Non-Spoilery Thoughts on DAY OF THE DOCTOR


Yesterday, like many other people, I watched The Day of the Doctor, the 50th anniversary special for Doctor Who. Of course, it helped that I had planned a group view with Chicago Doctor Who Meetup and Chicago Nerd Social Club; despite the previous 36 hours being crazy (due to an online final exam, efforts to move people from waiting list to main list, and other activities), I managed to make it to the showing with relatively high energy.
And now, for your reading enjoyment, five thoughts on Day of the Doctor:
  1. November 23rd, 2013 was a great date for one simple reason: it proved something that I have always believed: fandom is a phenomenon that is best enjoyed when it's shared. Despite having multiple complaints from multiple others in the past, those who attended, made comments, etc, made it all worthwhile. You don't know what the heck that means to me.
  2. Personally, I think this would be a great pilot for a sitcom starring Matt Smith and David Tennant - rather than do Pertwee/Troughton-style bickering, the two Doctors perform a kind of Abbott and Costello double act, and I want to see more of it. Seriously.
  3. Plotwise, much is resolved and handled in a very creative way, so much so that I wonder how much Steven Moffatt had this in his head, and how much was simply sitting at a keyboard and typing away.
  4. Yes, there is fan service. And two moments had me actually squeeing....which, if you know me, is not a pleasant experience to be around. Enough where the uberfans who declare the current show runner to be the "worst show runner ever" were lifting their jaws off of the floor.
  5. Quite simply, I felt the same way watching Day of the Doctor that I did when I watched The Five Doctors for the first time....on November 23rd.....on public television. Yes, I was that proud.

Yes, I'm hoping to get a review DVD to watch. Something tells me this is one story that I'm going to want to watch repeatedly....

No comments: