November 25, 2014

NaBloPoMo: Into the Home Stretch

So you're probably thinking, "Gordon, with being such a busy guy, especially in trying to function well in the freelance world....what in the name of heck are you doing blogging? Even participating in a daily blogging challenge?"

To be entirely honest....keeping up a regular blog has been a challenge. When it comes to time management, I'm not as diligent as I would like, but I have gotten better. In fact, my entire social media profile has somewhat suffered....but perhaps I can put all of this into some perspective.

I am a writer. Not just a "published" writer or a "professional" writer, but my nature has always been to give life to words. To take abstract thoughts, concepts, and ideas (both creative and technical) and put them into words. (I also have the uncanny ability to be methodical, and can do a really neat trick with my fingers). This past year has also seen a critical reevaluation of my life....especially since a colleague of mine passed away a year ago.

It meant taking inventory of my life - my activities and actions - and making a crucial decision. Many of the things I was doing were slowly - but surely - turning from blessings into burdens. (In fact, I had seriously burned out on many things, including Doctor Who fandom). But what I chose to do is focus in learning - and continuing - those things that brought me absolute joy. Not "joy" in the usual nerd/geek sense of hyperbole (you know, "awesome sauce", "the goodness", and all those other tiring phrases), but things which - despite amount of effort and difficulty - allowed me to feel strong, positive emotions.

(And if you say "the feels", I will ban you from this blog. Seriously.)

It meant letting go of some long-established activities, providing me with time - and room - to be bored, if I so chose. Reevaluating my priorities, including my creative ones, and deciding to go full-on into creative writing as a sideline. Focusing on building up my professional - and personal - reputation so that I would be seen as a great person rather than the cliche (insert field here) ninja/guru/rockstar/expert.

(In fact, if you ever meet someone who uses any of the previous titles when introducing themselves - turn and run swiftly. Seriously.)

And one of the things that brings me joy - is writing. Thanks to having some creative and professional outlets, it has meant that this year has brought some freelance work. (Not enough, but it has allowed me to network more). I have been invited to participate in many professional projects and endeavors.

It's even meant a new furry companion in my life (although to be thoroughly honest - he's my dog, but he's not my dog, if you catch my drift).

Normally, NaBloPoMo is an attempt for me to drive traffic and content - to play "catch up" with all of those posts I've been meaning to write, but never got around to completing. This year, it's more about me rediscovering my voice, but more importantly, relocating my humanity and reconnecting with others.

And that, most importantly, is why I blog. 




No comments: