May 24, 2017

Various & Sundry Online Shenanigans

Now that I'm starting to get settled, here are some other writings, appearances, and other various things that have kept me busy.

For one thing, I was asked to return to CompleteSet to write about pop culture collectibles. So in that spirit, enjoy some recent pieces focusing on Happy Meal toys and Star Wars action figures.

If you missed it, Sean Taylor interviewed me for his blog. And a side note - for all those authors who said, "Hell, yes, I kill my darlings" in response to my comments...no, you didn't. You're just saying that. You're getting rid of the stuff that doesn't work.

Although I was recently published by Pro Se Productions (and yes, I have a "Where Stories Come From" piece in the works), I was also fortunate enough to have two - yes, two - academic pieces in Time Lords & Tribbles, Winchesters & Muggles: The DePaul Pop Culture Conference. My pieces focus on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Firefly/Serenity (comparing Mal Reynolds to Phillip Marlowe - yes, really!). Thanks to Paul Booth for having me as a panelist (although I didn't make the Harry Potter conference this year), and if you want a copy (which benefits charity), click on the title link.

Finally, with the publication of Hollywood Mystery, I would like to thank Mr. James Hopwood for shouting me out not once, but twice, in promoting this work. It makes a guy feel appreciated when a fellow author says your name out loud.

Right now, besides some freelance writing (and a need to build my professional profile), I'm finishing a story for Airship 27; will be working on a top secret novel project, and focusing on helping Mom when she comes home. Until then, consider supporting my efforts with Chicago Doctor Who Meetup on Patreon until the release of The Crimson Badge by Last Ember Press.

No comments: