April 26, 2006

Curse You, Will Pfeiffer!

Yes, curse you to heck!

You're a great comic writer, have an excellent blog that for some reason keeps coming up in searches for my blog, live in the home town of one of the greatest rock bands in the world....and thanks to your love of Jerry Lewis, led me to read Dean and Me.

Now, in all honesty - I'm a Dean Martin guy, so I read the book with some interest. After all, it's one of the more unlikeliest friendships/partnerships since Houdini and Arthur Conan Doyle, but I have to admit, this book does much to explain the unique dynamic of the partnership.

Now, there are one or two moments that show a bit of Lewis' ego - I mean, taking credit for "That's Amore"? Don't think so. However, this is an excellent biography/memoir of two guys who knew how to play together...but more importantly, were able to make an imprint on American pop culture. It provides insight into one of the most unlikely comedy duos...but on some level, it makes Jerry Lewis seem almost human - less the unpredictable arrogance and more the plain, straightforward humanity.

So curse you, Will Pfeiffer, for making me like Jerry Lewis. I bet you're also behind the fact that my new network card isn't recognized by my computer (I'm installing DSL).

But hey, I won't complain...at least it's better than a Streisand biography.

No comments: