June 26, 2006

Monday Morning Musings

Just a few things that don't really warrant full blog posts:
  • For the first time in years, I went to a comics and toys show...and it made me feel grateful for female bloggers. Sixty-some attendees, and four were women. Four (in attendance with their husbands/boyfriends/etc). I never felt the term "sausage factory" was more appropriate.
  • As a result, I ended up purchasing Essential Killraven at half-price, and it was worth it. A mixture of '70s cynicism, near-poetic attempts at social commentary, extremely off-kilter storytelling, it's not as "Essential" as Marvel would have you believe. However, as a sampling of '70s Marvel....it's worth checking out of the library.
  • July 22. Live at the Levee. Cheap Trick. I am so there.
  • I don't know what bothers me more about Superman/Batman # 27 - the fact that (like a recent issue of JSA) the Earth-2 Batman is grim and gritty....or that the Huntress has suddenly become, er, "top-heavy. "(Yes, I know Kevin Maguire draws well, but even still...)
  • Mandatory listening. Trust me on this.
  • I just realized, in the past 24 hours, that I am as obsessed with Starman as Mike is with Swamp Thing. I have just crossed over into the dark side, ladies and gentlemen.
  • For those of you who feel powerless over blogging, there is help and hope.
  • Before, I loved Ex Machina for the way it not only combined urban political intrigue with superheroics, but also how it made the political intrigue the major thrust of the book. Now, with the arc beginning with # 21 (dealing with New York's marijuana laws), the substance abuse policy wonk in me is really enjoying the book.
  • Finally, let's end with a funny cartoon featuring Al Gore:

No comments: