However, I thought that, since several of you like it when I'm in crankypants mode, here are five things that you need to know about me, right now.
- Feeling like I'm starring in a version of The Devil Wears Prada. Example: after running out to get paper due to a mistake by our normal supplier, I get called in and scolded for buying paper that was "too nice". Please excuse the sarcasm, but I apologize for making a temporary effort while continuing to create a long-term solution.
- Richard Roeper - It's not enough that he makes himself out to be kind of a yuppie Mike Royko, or that he basically got his television job kissing up to Roger Ebert - he's rather obnoxious. Several of his recent columns in the Sun-Times - including one on teenage drinking - were full of I-know-better-than-you pronouncements. His interaction on At The Movies with various guest hosts has been short of annoying (but thankfully, one of my new role models can go toe-to-toe with him). So Mr. Roeper, here's a challenge - have me as a guest host. I won't tolerate that kind of behavior, no siree bob.
- One thing I love about Chicago - Harold's Chicken Shack. It even has its own blog. And St. Louis needs a franchise as well.
- Why do so many people hate on Kevin Smith's Jersey Girl - It's a well-crafted, heartwarming story about a young man adjusting to fatherhood. Besides, it's probably one of the few really solid performances from Ben Affleck. So why all the hate?
- I'm planning on trying out for Wheel of Fortune - This weekend, tryouts are being held in the area. That way, once I get on and win....well, why should Roger have all the fun?
Yes, I'm working on the podcast - that should be recorded, edited, and up this weekend, along with the Sundays in the Village post. And November's Record You Should Own...may be a special report, with all the brouhaha in the music business.