February 23, 2012

5 Reasons to Attend "Chicks & Guys Who Dig Time Lords" on 2/28

As you've probably noticed, I've been really talking up the upcoming event this Tuesday, February 28th, at Arlington Heights Memorial Library. The event is called Chicks - and Guys - Who Dig Time Lords: A Who-Centric Conversation, and features Lynne Thomas, who co-edited the book (and which I've blogged about previously).

Now you're probably wondering (if you haven't done so already) why you should RSVP for this event, to be held in the Hendrickson Room at 7:00 pm on 2/28.

Well, here are five reasons why (other than, hey, it focuses on Doctor Who, and seats are still available):

  1. Hugo Awards Are A Big Deal - This is the creme de la creme of science fiction writing. You can get more information by visiting their web site. Considering that I found out about this through my involvement with Chicago Nerd Social Club, this is a real coup. 
  2. It's Much Easier to Get to Arlington Heights Than You Think - It's about an hour's drive from downtown, and thankfully, the library is a mercifully brief walk from the Metra Station. The trains run until about 9:30 pm, so you can get home in time to go to bed early.
  3. Haven't Read Chicks Dig Time Lords? No Problem - Copies of the book will be on sale at the event, and it's a lot less of an academic read than you might think. It's a really good book (I just had the privilege of rereading it, if only to generate some topics of conversation). 
  4. Libraries are Cool Places - and librarians are cool people. This is a great way to help support libraries as they try to reach out to an increasingly apathetic public and more overtly hostile leadership. It's free, and quite honestly, you're going to get a really good experience. 
  5. It's Family Friendly - for a show that is starting to bridge generations, we need more events like this, where you can feel free to ask questions. Yes, we will have some obnoxious fans who will attempt to one-up people in terms of experience (and I should know - I'm one of them), but this is going to be a great event. I think people will have fun.
In fact, I'll even be slightly dressed up for the event - thankfully, my pal Rachel of The Working Wardrobe has given me some styling tips, so I'll avoid the usual tweed-and-plaid ensemble I normally wear to these things.

Thanks for reading, and when you come, please feel free to approach me and say "hi". I'm not that curmudgeonly in real life. 

No comments: