June 14, 2012

Shameless Self-Promotion, Part One: Social Media

Because Michael Palin + Batman Suit = AWESOME
As many of you are aware, I've been engaged in doing some semi-regular freelance writing and consulting work. Rather than do a huge infodump on Friday (like I always do), I thought I would spread it out over two days, to give you time to digest (as well as give this blog two days of needed content.

So first and foremost, since I'm now the only organizer for Chicago Net Tuesday, I'm going to be taking a break, but also rethinking about how we connect. If you're connected in any way with social good, non-profits and/or tech, please join our Facebook group and our Google Plus circle.

(Seriously - I was told by someone that the community didn't "want" Net Tuesday, only because our meeting attendance is dwindling. So which is more arrogant - that statement, or me deciding to engage people to prove them wrong? Please leave your opinion in the comments!)

In addition, I'm also helping get the Chicago Astronomical Society set up on Facebook and Twitter. If you are so moved, please join and - more importantly - forward to those stargazing friends of yours. They'll thank you later. 

Finally, I'm now running the Chicago Geek Breakfast, and we'll be meeting on Thursday, June 21st, at 7:30 pm. For those with the initiative and the willingness to get your geek on, please RSVP at http://chicagogeekbreakfast.eventbrite.com.

More good stuff tomorrow.

No comments: