August 30, 2012

No Laughing Matter: Rod Serling's THE COMEDIAN


When I was younger, I had always wanted to see some of Rod Serling's earlier television work. I never thought I would have the chance. Thankfully, one boredom-driven Sunday afternoon web search later, I found The Comedian - one of Serling's plays - available for watching via Hulu.

Normally, Serling has been accused of being a wee bit too sentimental, and the premise - Mickey Rooney as an egotistical comedian - might have an assumed conclusion around his redemption. But the focus isn't on Rooney's character so much as two hangers-on: his brother Lester (Mel Torme) and his head writer (Edmund O'Brien).

Without going into details, it deals with both men attempting to find some form of redemption and self-satisfaction. Whether they do or not....well, the only way you'll find out is by watching.

And this is well worth watching indeed.

No comments: