July 23, 2014

More Adventures in Editing & Writing

As I'm slowly returning to the blogging life (currently working on a consulting business - drop me a line at gordon@gordondymowski.com if you want more details), I'm finding that I want to avoid turning into a self-promotional blog. However, with not one, not two, but three projects published, I thought it was time to make the announcements....and to engage in a little capitalistic endeavor.

First, as always, my story Crossing McCausland was published in Pro Se Productions' Tall Pulp, an anthology focusing on tall tales and legends in a pulp-style setting. Stories range from a science fiction Paul Bunyan to female pirate Anne Bonney. (My story features Joe Magarac, a literal "man of steel", in 1950s-era St. Louis). There are some really great stories in this collection (I didn't just read the proofing copy for my own story), and comes highly recommended. (It's also available as softcover, and if you click the graphic on the left, you can order the Kindle version.

On the editing side, my first selection is from Airship 27 Productions, and it's a really great book. It's called Hitwolf , and it's a clever mix of Goodfellas and The Howling. (Because werewolves plus gangsters makes a great combination). There's the right amount of urban grit, and there isn't a false step in the book. It's a great example of modern "new pulp" at its best, and you would be remiss in not reading it.

Another editing project come to fruition is the vintage pulp reprint The Crime Master from Altus Press. (I had reviewed their rerelease of stories featuring Inspector Allhoff, and they also specialize in some pulp scholarship like Phillip Jose Farmer's Doc Savage: His Apocalyptic Life ). Crime Master focuses on Gordon Manning's conflict with super-criminal The Griffin. (And no, you may not make a Family Guy joke). It's a series of stories with a serial feel, and is a really good example of pop culture from an age now past. It's also worth checking out, and will make its debut at PulpFest in early August.

So now that I'm entering the field of "professional writer/editor" as well as "freelance marketing consultant" and "intimidatingly charming podcast host", my blog posts have been a little self-referential lately, and that's fine. If it means getting some great works into people's hands, all the better.

No comments: