May 15, 2016

Twelve Years of Blogging

It all started twelve years ago...because I was bored at work.

My community organizing and mobilizing work had come to a pause (between tobacco retailer education and an upcoming youth conference), and I was bored. Working through my e-mail, I had just come across news about Blogger being open, and so I started an initial blog for about two weeks....

....and then changed the name. Because "gordond.blogspot.com" doesn't quite have the right ring to it.

Pulling from a past classmate's snarky remark, I created a new blog - this blog you're reading right now - and ended up deleting the other blog. Because if I'm going to blog, I'm gonna go all out.

And those early blog posts....well, they were typical newbie posts. Eventually, I alienated myself somewhat from that early crowd, but I found myself enjoying the process of writing on a regular basis. Even if I was clogging up the blogiverse with memes and half-hearted posts, I was expressing myself. Getting into the habit of hitting the keyboard on a semi-regular basis.

As I sit here now, I'm thinking about the irony - I'm writing more, but blogging less. My paid fiction writing is taking off (with more releases on the way - after all, they don't give Amazon author pages to anyone, you know), and I'm stretched out over a variety of outlets (including one that you'll be hearing about within the next few weeks, if all goes well).

So consider this my public re-dedication to blogging: I may not post here every day, but I will make an effort to be more consistent. This will still contain my usual rantings about comics/television/pop culture stuff, but I will work to make my posts matter in a way that they haven't before.

Because after blogging for twelve years, I'm nowhere near the desire to end this blog....and I'm not sure that I'm quite done with it yet. 


No comments: