September 22, 2004

Byrne-d Himself

You know, I didn't realize how ironic my last post was until...

I always liked John Byrne - his runs on X-Men, Fantasic Four, Superman...heck, I even dug his Generations Elseworlds series. Sure, I think his recent writing is lacking (although his art still rocks), but like many other comic bloggers (including Dorian, Mike, and Ian), I found Mr. Byrne's recent comments about my future ex-wife, Jessica Alba, a little disconcerting.

(Ok, the "ex-wife" crack was in poor taste - my apologies. I just think she's gorgeous, regardless of her hair color)

Never mind the controversy about pulled posts from his message boards - there are just some times when you have to back away from the keyboard, think about what you are going to say, and consider whether it's worth putting out there. It's not PC to expect some intelligence and thought to go into comments - it's just good sense, especially in a debate.

My personal opinion - hey, if I don't like the idea of a multi-racial Fantastic Four movie, I can opt not to see it. I can always turn to the original comics(like James M. Cain once said, Hollywood hasn't ruined his books - they'll always be on the shelf, ready for the next reader), but don't modern times almost require a little outside-of-the-box thinking? It's not PC for our movies to push for diverse casting - it's just smart marketing sense.

Although the first idiot to suggest Pauly Shore as Willy Lumpkin will get a major - I mean major - pounding. Free of charge.

No comments: