February 11, 2008

Roy Scheider & Steve Gerber, RIP

Like many people of my generation, I was a big fan of Roy Scheider. Oh, sure, it's easy to focus on Jaws, or even Seaquest DSV, but let's look at his career, shall we?

This is a guy who worked in a variety of genres, including:
  • action, such as The French Connection and The Seven-Ups
  • noir pieces like 52 Pick-Up (doing Elmore Leonard before doing Elmore Leonard was cool)
  • Blue Thunder, possibly the greatest helicopter movie ever made
  • musicals like All That Jazz
  • Television - he did a episode of Law & Order: Criminal Intent that proved that, although he was seriously ill, he sure didn't go down without a fight.
But don't take my word for it - check out his IMDB entry. At the very least, you'll see some great movies.

Ave atque vale, Mr. Scheider. You will be missed.

EDIT - just found out that Steve Gerber also passed away. Please feel free to check out the Wikipedia entry for an overview of his career.

Two guys. Two distinct talents. It just ain't fair, folks.

1 comment:

golfwidow said...

I liked him better in "All That Jazz" than I did in "Jaws."

I'm such a girl.