June 1, 2008

Various and Sundry Sunday

With the Internet abuzz about all sorts of things - and the fact that I haven't actually blogged about comics in, like, forever - here are some brief little tidbits on comics, television, and other things that I can't justify putting in a full post.
  • Am I the only person who loves Marvel's Annihilation storyline? And who thinks that Guardians of the Galaxy is their present-day attempt to mimic this futuristic franchise? (And I am not complaining...
  • I liked Robin # 174. I might have enjoyed it more...had Stephanie's "return" not been so telegraphed by Bill Willingham when he wrote her "death" in Batman so long ago.
  • If you haven't seen Venture Brothers, please watch it tonight on Adult Swim. For any comics/animation/humor fan, it's a must-watch. Why this show isn't more popular, I have no idea.
  • I always thought that the "Assignment: Earth" episode of Star Trek would have made a great franchise. I enjoyed Greg Cox using the "format" for his Eugenics Wars novels. John Byrne's use in Star Trek - Assignment: Earth # 1 from IDW...left me cold.
  • (Clicking link will lead to potential speculation/spoiler) - I wonder if the major plot twist on Battlestar Galactica is actually a version of this. If so, I wouldn't be surprised.
  • I liked Final Crisis # 1...but I only wish that (major character with untapped potential) had not have been (no spoilers here). I think that (what happened in Final Crisis to major character with untapped potential) is the new cliche in comics.
  • In all honesty, I wonder why this show is not a comic book. To whatever company gets the rights...I'll write it. For free, if need be.
  • Surprisingly, I'm enjoying the heck out of Brubaker's run on Captain America. I just wish I could say the same for Avengers/Invaders 1. I'll give it time, though.
  • Dear Mike Sterling - As per this post, I am asking that you post a picture of yourself wearing a bow tie on your blog. It will drive your blog traffic upwards. Trust me on this.
  • Finally, I might enjoy "Thy Kingdom Come" in Justice Society of America more...had they not done similar storylines in The Kingdom. Or Chuck Austen's run on Action Comics. It's just too bad DiDio seems resigned to this fate.

2 comments:

Stephen said...

i read the first annhilation and the prequels leading up to it but since it didnt end up tieing in with wwh like i thought it would i gave up.

venture bros. rule.

assignment earth felt weird to me but i loved the art

as for jsa stuf i'm really digging it but i just with in jsa classified they could give us something other than wildcat stories.

Roger Owen Green said...

Gordon- YOU should have a picture of you wear8ing a bow tie. You'll be so popular you'll forget all the little people who knew you when.