January 17, 2013

How To Help Peter David

Photo via 5of7 on Flickr
Like many of my fellow comics fans, I was a bit stunned to hear about Peter David suffering a stroke while vacationing in Florida. So much so that I wished there were some way I could help them in their time of need (yes, Mr. David has insurance, but medical costs are still expensive).

Thankfully, there is a way for the casual fan to help Mr. David, and that is to purchase some of his work. This may sound cynical, coming from me (and what doesn't nowadays), but if helping Mr. David recover means promoting much of his current/most recent work, then so be it.

(Plus, I enjoy his writing. It's that simple).

Over at PeterDavid.net, there's a great outline of which books to buy that will provide him the greatest financial benefit. It's not a financial windfall, but let me just say this from my own experience - when you have a health scare and resulting issues in your family, sometimes the greatest feelings of joy come from the smallest of actions. It's been the casual invitation for a beverage and conversation, or a surprise note from a pal, that means the difference in how a situation is perceived and handled. Sometimes, it truly is the smallest thing that makes the greatest difference.

And if the smallest thing you can do is purchase a comic, then do it. It will have the greatest impact. Trust me on this.

No comments: