December 24, 2015

Some Holiday Thoughts & Videos

As you can probably gather from my absence, things have been rather busy...but Mom's health issues will do that to me.

Things since October have been...a blur. A whirlwind of experiences which have helped me realized many key lessons...not unlike those learned by Ebenezer Scrooge, except without any supernatural influence.

First and foremost - I've learned that I can't do it all, and that pushing myself to the extreme can be very dangerous. The old adage is true...if I don't take care of myself, then I can't take care of anyone else.

(Another thing - some people will avoid accepting that I am not qualified to perform medicine despite my lack of training. Or in other words, why I don't tell my mother what she should do and/or spend 24 hours monitoring her every move).

A third thing - I have some great friends. Asking for face time has been helpful, if for no other reason than it's allowed me to open up somewhat about all of this. It's also going to make purging my Facebook friend list a lot easier.

Finally, as we enter Christmas, this whole experience has been a reminder of the small, practical miracles that happen every day. Thanks to modern technology, my mom has a small device implanted that maintains her heart rate. She's survived longer with a transplanted liver than anyone could expect. I've learned that the greatest Christmas gifts are those I receive every day.

Like YouTube videos. Enjoy!














No comments: