November 14, 2005

Monday Musings

This has been one busy weekend - luckily, the trivia night fundraiser for my cause du jour was a complete success - everyone had a good time (although I did have to apologize for a trivia question about this movie). Anyway, taking a note from Tosy & Cosh, I'll be meme-ing on my comedy favorites. I've bolded the films I've seen.

Airplane!
All About Eve

Amelie
Annie Hall
The Apartment
Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
I actually liked the first AP movie - the second had its moments, and the third's best
moment was a deleted scene

Blazing Saddles
The first movie I conned my dad into taking me to see - it's true!

Bringing Up Baby
Gonna have to add this to my Netflix queue - I mean, Cary Grant and
Katherine Hepburn? Too cool.

Broadcast News
Caddyshack

Le diner de con
Dr. Strangelove: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story
Duck Soup

I think this is the funniest movie ever made. If you do not agree, I will fight you.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Four Weddings and a Funeral
The General
Ghostbusters

Caught this on the "Special Edition" DVD. Even better than I remember

The Gold Rush

As I've said in other posts, I just don't get Chaplin.

Good Morning Vietnam

The Graduate
Groundhog Day

A Hard Day's Night
It's easy for forget this movie was funny, because it's the greatest rock 'n'roll
movie ever made. However, if you have never seen this movie, you are seriously
depriving yourself.


His Girl Friday

Much like The Third Man, a film that I saw in college that I cannot
get out of my bloodstream

Kind Hearts and Coronets
The Lady Killers
Local Hero
Manhattan
M*A*S*H
Monty Python's Life of Brian

A notch below Holy Grail, but pretty strong...and it's no Meaning of Life

National Lampoon's Animal House
Aka, The Movie that Lied to Me About College

The Odd Couple
The Producers
Forget the Broadway hype - see the original. Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder are unsung geniuses

Raising Arizona

Never understood this movie's appeal. Sorry.

Roxanne
Rushmore

Saw this at the Tivoli about a year ago - great frickin' film.

Shaun of the Dead

A Shot in the Dark
Some Like it Hot
Strictly Ballroom
Sullivan's Travels
Saw this three months ago on DVD - well worth the reputation

There's Something About Mary
This is Spinal Tap
To Be or Not to Be

You know, I just saw this movie recently - it has a great, almost snarky
attitude towards Nazism. You could argue that Jack Benny was the Jason
Lee of his time


Tootsie
Toy Story

Les vacances de M. Hulot
When Harry Met Sally...
Withnail and I

If you choose to see one movie from this list, make sure it's Withnail and I - it's a British film with some great quotes, excellent performances, and quite frankly - you will laugh yourself sick.

No comments: