June 9, 2014

Rik Mayall - A Not-Quite-Appropriate Tribute

But if you're single, lonely, and desperate (for me, two out of three ain't bad), why not watch Bottom on DVD It's the Young Ones (or, more especially, Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmondson) channelling Beavis & Butthead as two single losers. You'll laugh your tuckus off. 

Hard to believe it's been slightly over eight years since I wrote that review....and I don't think any writer has used the word "tuckus" in casual conversation since Berke Breathed's run on Bloom County.

But it is a kind of strange parallel - I've been watching a lot of Blackadder in my effort to "catch up" on shows I missed "back in the day."


(It was the dark days of Chicago cable, and my mom and dad were concerned with more important matters like sending me to college and making sure I had a roof over my head. Sue me.)

Anyway, I was really shocked and saddened to hear of the passing of Rik Mayall.  He is everything I want in a comedian - rude, snarky, and openly inappropriate, almost like a punk rock Groucho Marx.

(Only I think Groucho would have been a little less....well, rude)

Ironically, it seems like these times deserve some rudeness....and I can't help thinking about an interaction I had on social media channel. Confronted by someone being self-important when I attempted to be the voice of insanity, I....walked away from the keyboard.

It was at that moment that I wanted to be Rik Mayall....yes, I might have been booted from this group, but it would have been fun.

Below are some choice viewings - I still recommend Bottom, as well as Young Ones and Blackadder Series Two and Four. Plus, I get a small percentage from orders from the widget below, so you'll be supporting me as well....

RIP, Rik Mayall. we need you now, more than ever.


No comments: