June 30, 2005

Mixed Bag 2: Ded, Dead, and Dog

First, on the job hunting front - had a great interview on Tuesday, spent yesterday getting follow up materials for that employer, and tomorrow's another interview. Now, if only the water main hadn't have busted while I was showering yesterday, it might have been a better day, but them's the breaks.

Yes, it's more Mixed Bag goodness, thanks to copious free time - this is yet another blog about mix discs, and this time 'round, we're focusing on three netizens who have gone above and beyond the call of duty to provide some excellent tunage, and for even more music with which I can annoy my neighbors.

First is Logan from House of the Ded's "Songs I Know By Heart." This is actually a pretty rockin' CD - highlights include two Everclear tunes (what people don't like about them, I have no idea); "She Talks to Angels" by the Black Crowes; "Songs About Rain", a really clever tune by Gary Allan; "Lonely Road of Faith" by Kid Rock (who knew he could sound soulful?) and my personal fave, "Someday, We'll Know" by the New Radicals (although, to be honest, it was a song I listened to a lot after the disintegration of a relationship). Although it's not a must-listen, it will hit my player from time to time.

Thankfully, Zombie Tom is representin' undead style, with "Music to Eat Brains By." (If there's an MB3, let's invite Zombie Killer for equal time). Pretty much all of the songs are about zombies, with two tunes by artists who are zombies (namely, Katrina & the Waves and Toni Basil). Personal faves - Murderdolls "She Was a Teenage Zombie, "She's Not There" by the Zombies, Harry Belafonte's "Zombie Jamboree", and "Surf Zombies" by the Hellbillys. (Please tell me that's Mojo Nixon on vocals - even if it isn't, it's still a cool tune). Points off, however, for not including the zombie classic "Surfin' Dead" by the Cramps.

(The Cramps. Music that's not for the faint of heart. Ask for 'em by name)

Speaking of faint of heart....Tom, Tom, Tom, Tom, Tom. I wasn't expecting much from the disc with the original title, "You'll Play It and You'll Like it Volume 2." I was, however, gently shaken out of my doldrums by so much - the Bruce Campbell soundclips, a Who original followed by a Who cover followed by a variation on a title. Much of the other tunes are cool - my personal favorite is a cover of my hometown's unofficial anthem by a hometown punk band.

(By the way, if I ever meet Will, we're karaoking this song. Seriously. I mean it.)

But Tom, that bonus song...I think you and your homies need serious psychiatric help. I'm grateful I don't live in California. And I say that with love in my heart.

No comments: