August 14, 2005

Now That's Comedy

It's the "Louie, Louie" of comedians - a joke with the same set-up and punchline. Only difference is in the telling: over the years, it's grown more foul, more disgusting, and more perverted...and has been made into a movie.

Yes, I'm talking about The Aristocrats, the funnest movie ever made.

Why? It's not just about the joke - it's about how the joke has evolved. It's a Meyer-Briggs for Comedians - what the comedian does with the joke, how they tell it shows their personality. (And no, I didn't use Rorschach for a reason - Rorschach is about perception, not personality - at least, from what I remember from my psychological assessment classes).

There's a wide range of people talking, from Larry Storch (who doesn't look all that well) to George Carlin, from Gilbert Gottfried to Rita Rudner - in fact, my favorite version involves the Smothers Brothers. (If I didn't know better, I would swear that it was part of their act - of course, the SmoBros have had their own issues with censorship). Variations on a theme are presented, and even the South Park kids have their say.

If you think this movie sounds offensive, head to Michael Medved's site - there, you can complain about how this movie is "destroying the fabric of America" or something. Otherwise, leave us alone.

Random Bits of Goodness

First, check out Dr. Blink: Superhero Shrink # 2 - it's like Powers with a sense of humor, only better. I defy you not to smile after reading this.

Also, Chris and Greg both have contests, and Yet Another Comics Blog will be announcing a giveaway. Check 'em out.

Finally, my new # 2 referral comes as a result of this post. Never underestimate the power of the 'Skine, baby!

No comments: