March 26, 2006

The Burgas Exchange: Roger & Lefty

This has been one busy week - trying to get organized at work, pulling a hamstring before a big open house (tempting me to contact Polite Scott for some mega-painkillers), and watching the Fantastic Four on DVD. (Which was only made, I suspect, to reveal this lady in various stages of undress....but that isn't a bad thing, I suppose).

However, thank God for Greg's CD exchange, which has allowed me to sit back, relax (with ice on my leg), and enjoy some tunes whilst waiting for Lefty's CD exchange. (And if you haven't signed up yet, what's keeping you?)

First came Roger's disc, which contains songs about religious doubt. (Go back through his blog, and there's a share on some of his "spiritual" mixes). Of course, he starts his entry with "The Vatican Rag" by Tom Lehrer - anyone who likes Tom Lehrer has gotta be all right with me. Other highlights include a cover of XTC's "Dear God", "Christmas" by the Who (which really deserves a lot more classic radio play), and Johnny Cash's "Mercy Seat" (which has more plot twists and turns than, say, the Fantastic Four movie). A pretty decent mix.

File under "darn-I-wish-I'd-thought-of-that" - the mighty Lefty Brown has come up with the spatiotemporal mix - a song for each year he's been alive. Some cool stuff in the mix - highlights include the one-two-three punch of AC/DC, the Jam, and Bruce Springsteen on disc 1, and Beck leading into Cake Like (whose song sounds like a tequila-fueled jam session between the Breeders and B-52s).

This weekend - definitely some well-earned R & R. Plus, I'll have to come up with some cool posts for this week.

Thanks for reading!

No comments: