April 2, 2006

Tales From The Pull File

Now that I have a regular income, that only means one thing - the kind of two-fisted critical analysis of current comic releases (and other stuff) that you've come to expect from this blog.

Ok, you're more about my obscure references, so without further adieu...

All-Star Superman # 3: Although I really like what Morrison's trying to do (integrate the sheer weirdness of Silver Age Superman with a 21st Century sensibility), what I find appealing about this comic is the sheer humanity and - dare I say it - realism in the writing. Best example: Lois asks Superman what he sees in her. His response is priceless, and Quitely's art reinforces that moment. Everything Miller and Lee can't (or won't) do on All-Star Batman.

Supergirl and the Legion of Superheroes # 16: Granted, the last page came out of nowhere, but except for the first three pages (I mean, really - Klar? putting on glasses? Spitcurl), an enjoyable read. I'm glad I'm getting back into the Legion.

New Avengers: Illuminati # 1: Avengers continuity used horribly wrong. Basically, Tony Stark encourages his smart colleages to do stuff, and they tell him where to go. Somehow, I doubt I'll be following Civil War...

Young Avengers # 10: Avengers continuity used cleverly and enjoyably. Even though it's in the middle of the "Family Matters" arc, this is just a flat-out fun book, and is my personal favorite Marvel, along with...

Exiles # 78: I'm probably in the minority, but I really dig this book. It's good, turn-off-your-brain, doesn't-take-itself-too-seriously ("This league serves justice"? Please) entertainment, and a great use of the Squadron Supreme. In fact, speaking of which...

Squadron Supreme # 1: Here we go again. Someone please remind JMS that it is perfectly ok to tell a story, and not "write for the trade".

New Rules by Bill Maher: You know, this stuff was funny when George Carlin first said it. (Note to Greg - when you become dictator, can we exile Mr. Maher to Antarctica? Please?)

Invincible # 29 & 30: On the cover, it says "Probably the best super-hero comic book ever written." Remove the "probably" - this book has Silver Age-style writing with some nice, modern flourishes. If you're not reading this book, there is something horribly wrong with you.

Powers # 17: Probably gonna have this book removed from the pull file. Didn't get it, and showing that Bendis is slowly - but surely- losing it.

JSA Classified # 10: I like the set-up, but it was a little "too" structured for my taste - in fact, I half expected to hear a voice pronounce "JSA Classified - A Quinn Martin Production". However, I'm such a Golden Age fanboy, it was worth it.

Fables # 47: The other book that, if you're not reading it, there is something horribly wrong with you.

Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle - Finally, if you're expecting a dumb, typical stoner comedy - this isn't it. It's a funny (though not to everyone's taste), insightful, and at times touching gem of a movie, and I wanna see more John Cho and Kal Penn adventures. The only weak spot - Neil Patrick Harris, who is supposed to be "spoofing" himself, but in the film (and in the supplmentary materials) takes himself way too seriously. Plus, this film features the greatest food ever made. How can you go wrong with that?

No comments: