May 18, 2018

Living the Freelance Writing Lifestyle

Ironically, things are starting to settle after a year of relative chaos.

Much of it has been taking some healthy self-care steps, but I'm in a relatively stable routine. I have two freelance writing clients (and I'm always working on expanding my professional services) and have been stepping away from some great commitments (like Zone 4) and some which are more toxic (which I'll blog about at a later date).

But a new income and caring for Mom has meant that I've been able to spread my wings somewhat - checking out Raks Inferno (hey, they have a June 7th show!), coworking via the meetup I run as well as through Deskpass (which has been a godsend). Yes, even though I'm a bit more mobile, it's also meant that I've been more productive over the past few weeks.

I've seen a slight uptick in post pitches for Chicago Now's One Cause At a Time focusing on the Paschen Scholar program and Opulent Credit Rebuilders. (I've even participated in Ask Chicago Now) I've also had some very spammy requests from people who want to "contribute content" from people who have....well, they've obviously never read the blog.

And I should know about content creation - I've participated in a content writing Twitter chat, providing insights into "thought leadership" and knowing your audience. 

Am I "crushing it", to abuse the popular phrase? No, but I'm doing OK considering my position. And I was very pleased to learn (and to announce) that my stories for Airship 27's Marty Quade: Private Eye and Pro Se Production's 1950's Western Roundup should be coming out in the next few months.

So things are good...and can always be better. Especially since right now, the only non-freelance writing projects are more personal in nature.

As they should always be.


No comments: